For a fourth straight season, Razzball will be interviewing local NFL beat writers for some actual in-depth football knowledge to shed some additional light on our fantasy footballÂ knowledge.Â Keep your eye out for an interview for every NFL team through the summer.Â Our first installment comes courteous of Kevin EwoldtÂ from leading Washington Redskins blogÂ Hogs Haven:
1) RG3 and the RGKnee.Â Since Adrian Peterson has shown heâ€™s inhuman and his knee is fine, RGKnee is the most talked about injury in the NFL.Â Heâ€™s been out doing jumping jacks and now throwing on the field, so itâ€™s looking increasingly like heâ€™ll be out there opening day.Â Is that what it sounds like in Redskins land, and how worried are you about both him staying healthy all season and being able to run the ball?
Â Yes, as of right now, RGIII looks like a go for Week 1. In the last minicamp, he was out-running some of the fastest players on our team, so the speed is there. I am very concerned about his long-term health, though. He said heâ€™ll be better about protecting himself, but if the Redskins are losing in the 4thÂ quarter and heâ€™s running for a first down, will he slide short? I doubt it. The concussion last year also proved to be a big deal. I wouldnâ€™t mind having RGIII on my fantasy team, but there are many QBs Iâ€™d draft before him.
2) Alfred Morris was unreal for you guys last year, and looks to build on his stellar rookie campaign with a solid sophomore season.Â Weâ€™ve got him ranked a little lower than some other places with worries about â€śShanahanigansâ€ť – Mike Shanahanâ€™s tendency before last year to mix different backs week-to-week.Â Plus Morris is still only entering his second year.Â How do you feel about him being the lead back all through next season and can we expect comparable numbers?
Yes, Iâ€™d expect comparable numbers. The Redskins donâ€™t have a reliable backup RB right now with everyone still healing from major surgeries (Roy Helu, Chris Thompson). Those guys will see some action, but Alfred Morris is not a guy you take off the field regularly.
3) After an unreal 1stÂ quarter in game 1 to open the season, Pierre Garcon got bit by the injury bug, but when he fully came back in week 12 he was pretty unreal to close the season.Â Iâ€™m a little worried both with the foot injuries he had last year and defenses having to worry a tick less about RG3 running and increase their focus in the secondary.Â What say you about Garconâ€™s fantasy prospects this season?
Garcon said heâ€™ll never be 100% the rest of his life, which was pretty shocking to hear, but as you mentioned, his wheels still hit that 5thÂ gear no problem. For all intensive purposes, Garcon is 100% healthy. It just means heâ€™s playing through some pain all year, which all NFL guys do anyway.
4) Past Garcon, there was never a consistent WR for the Redskins fantasy-wise.Â Josh Morgan had some bonehead plays and Santana Moss is getting way up there in age.Â Who do you like to emerge as the second WR threat behind Morgan and will anyone be a fantasy relevant guy in standard 10-team leagues?
People only remember Morganâ€™s week 2 penalty, but he actually had a decent season the rest of the year despite playing through multiple, major injuries, which required three surgeries this off-season. He is 100% now and I expect him to be on the field a lot. The Redskins preseason games will tell a lot if Hankerson or Aldrick Robinson have made strides, so make sure to TIVO those games. They could be late-round sleepers.
5) The TE situation is also a little murky in the nationâ€™s capital with Fred Davis returning, â€śThe Hairâ€ť/â€ťHis Name Isâ€ť Logan Paulsen who had a few nice games coming back, and 2nd-rounder Jordan Reed from Florida entering the mix.Â Who do you like to come out with the top pass-catching numbers from that group and will anyone end up on fantasy teams in 2013?
Fred Davis is the guy all the way. Jordan Reed is still very raw and I donâ€™t seem him getting much time at all. So, the depth chart is: Davis, Paulsen, Reed. Fred Davis was RGIII’sÂ most targeted guy before he ruptured his Achilles. Davis should definitely be owned in every league.