It was an ugly end to an ugly game. The talk of the town this morning is how long Myles Garrett should be suspended by the NFL. Baker even brought up a suspension in the post game interview. Striking Mason Rudolph with his own helmet is one of the most malicious acts that we’ve seen on the field in a very long time. If there is even a little bit of humor in what occurred; trust me there isn’t much, it was Mason Rudolph throwing his hands up to the ref IMMEDIATELY after the helmet hits him.
Was Mason Rudolph really that concerned about getting an extra 15-yard penalty being down 14 points with not enough time to come back? Did Rudolph want the ref to square up with Garrett on his behalf? It’s so confusing. I think my first reaction after being struck with a hard object by an obscenely large man would be, “oh my God, my brain is bleeding. Somebody please help.” Quarterbacks and receivers take hard hits all of the time with the helmet on and looked dazed and even stumble around a little bit sometimes. Not Rudolph. He turned to the ref and wanted his 15-yards and he wanted it now.
I can’t help but feel bad for the rest of the Browns after a second consecutive with over a team with a winning record. It’s completely overshadowed by the chaos that occurred. I guess we can just sigh and whisper, “that’s so Browns.” Here’s what else I saw on Thursday Night Football.
– One would have to think that this is the last we’ve seen of James Conner for a while, right? Conner aggravated his shoulder injury and aggravations usually lead to a conservative approach to recovery time. It would be a bummer if we didn’t see him again this year.
– The 12 touch mark is about the amount of work that I was expecting to see Kareem Hunt get after he returned from his suspension and I think that it’s what we can expect going forward. Hunt adds an element to this offense that they didn’t have have before with having a good pass catching back and space for Nick Chubb when they are on the field together.
– Nick Chubb wasn’t too shabby again last night except for the whole not scoring a touchdown thing. He had 92 yards on 27 carries and the 27 carries is exactly what you want to see as a Nick Chubb owner.
– Odell Beckham Jr. got robbed of a touchdown. Beckham owners can’t catch a break this season. It sucks because he is the same old Beckham from a talent standpoint. You’ll just have to settle for the 10 PPR points that you got.
– Jarvis Landry is paying dividend to his owners in the month of November. He had 4 catches for 43 yards and a wide open touchdown grab on 7 targets.
– We finally got the Baker Mayfield that we have been waiting for last night. The yardage total wasn’t there, but 3 total touchdowns will get you some fantasy points.
– Mason Rudolph continues to look like a terrible NFL quarterback, except this time the defense couldn’t save him. Rudolph just doesn’t have zip.