Running back is the most volatile position and in dynasty leagues that can be scary. As soon as a back reaches 30 they are sent off in a space ship to Vorgon 7, so you must draft some youngsters and then some youngster back-ups and then some 15 year old prodigy types. A trade or injury can make an ok running back into a top ten running back in short order and the other into a short order cook.
1. Chris Johnson 25 — You know what he can do.
2. Adrian Peterson 25 — Purple Jesus can still raise the dead. He is 1b.
3. Maurice Jones Drew 25 — He’s got a nose for the goal line.
4. Ray Rice 23 — I’m not too worried about McGahee and these are Dynasty rankings we are talking bout.
5. Jamaal Charles 23 — Probably deserves Tier 1 status, but needs to perform for a whole year.
6. Rashard Mendenhall 23 — Young and the #1 on a good team.
7. Shonn Greene 25 — L.T. will take carries away from him, at least until they realize he’s washed up.
8. Frank Gore 27 — Steady and versatile, but aging and injury prone.
9. Beanie Wells 22 — Hightower will be eating his dust.
10. Jonathan Stewart 23 — His age and ability trump his RBBC lot in life.
11. Steven Jackson 27 — Will put up good numbers, but his back could be a problem dynasty-wise.
12. Michael Turner 28 — He can put up TD’s with the best of them.
13. Knowshon Moreno 23 — Didn’t overwhelm in his rookie season, but his situation is ripe for success.
14. DeAngelo Williams 27 — He’s too good to knock down far even though he’s older than his RBBC pal.
15. Ryan Mathews 23 — His situation is too good to pass up.
16. Ryan Grant 27 — On a great offense. Steady production.
17. LeSean McCoy 22 — Bell doesn’t hurt him too much. The Eagles will score.
18. Pierre Thomas 25 — Just hope Payton gives him some goal line work.
19. Felix Jones 23 — Worried about his health, but see him getting the most numbers in cow town.
20. Donald Brown 23 — RBBC for now, but youth always wins out.
21. Cedric Benson 27 — Bengals have become run first.
22. Matt Forte 24 — Chester Taylor hurts him, but thankfully Taylor will be 31 this season.
23. Jahvid Best 21 — He has the ability, but he doesn’t have a 300 carry build. The Lions are going to give him a shot at being the main guy. If he stays healthy he’ll be a steal.
24. Ahmad Bradshaw 24 — Jacobs and he were both injured, but he outplayed him.
25. CJ Spiller 23 — Great ability, but a Bill. I like his long term value though.
26. Joseph Addai 27 — Has some productive committee years left.
27. Ronnie Brown 28 — He could slip or rise further depending on how his injury looks, but he is an elite talent.
28. Brandon Jacobs 28 — I’m not a fan, but if he’s healthy he can get in the endzone.
29. Ben Tate 22 — Will get early downs and goal line looks in a high powered offense. If he takes advantage, he could be a huge steal.
30. Justin Forsett 24 — Should be the most productive back in Seattle.
31. Fred Jackson 29 — There’s a good chance he’ll get the bulk of the carries this season, but he is old (which makes me ancient).
32. Reggie Bush 25 — Reggie Bush type.
33. Darren McFadden 23 — Campbell will help him, but he’ll be battling Bush for carries.
34. Darren Sproles 27 — Reggie Bush type, but a bit older.
35. Marion Barber 27 — Most Barbarians have short life spans.
36. Michael Bush 26 — If he gets goal line and early down work he goes ahead of McFadden.
37. Montario Hardesty 23 — Will have to beat out Harrison and Davis, but will be given the opportunity.
38. Marshawn Lynch 24 — His age and past production make him hard to pass on. Will move up if he gets traded to a better sitch.
39. Jerome Harrison 27 — He has skills, but needs an opportunity.
40. Kevin Smith 23 — His injuries and inability to run well are worrisome. Best won’t be able to carry a huge load so he could still have some value.
41. Laurence Maroney 25 — Had a great stretch last season. Still young.
42. Toby Gerhart 23 — He is an Adrian Peterson injury away from being a top RB, but he sure isn’t fantasy worthy right now.
43. Jonathan Dwyer 21 — He’s a Mendenhall handcuff for now, but there are rumblings of him being a goal line back. That would move Mendy and him closer together in the rankings.
44. Thomas Jones 32 — Doesn’t get hurt so should have a year or two left. Will get goal line looks in KC.
45. Tashard Choice 25 — Barber is declining. Jones is injury prone.
46. Chester Taylor 31 — Role is undefined now in Chicago, but he could do some things in a Martz offense.
47. Steve Slaton 24 — Had a great rookie season. Has skills. Benched. Is hurt. Has Ben Tate in his way. Flier.
48. Dexter McCluster 22 — He could end up being on the WR rankings instead of the RB rankings. If these were redraft, ppr, or return yardage league rankings, he would be higher.
49. Carnell Williams 28 — Lasted all last season. Probably won’t this season.
50. Tim Hightower 24 — Still young, but will be a Beanie back-up.
51. Willis McGahee 28 — Staying in Baltimore will hurt his value.
52. Ricky Williams 33 — Should get you one more productive year.
53. Arian Foster 24 — The drafting of Ben Tate was a sad one for Foster. If he happens to beat Tate he moves way up.
54. LaDainian Tomlinson 31 — The Jets run a ton, but LT is breaking down quickly.
55. Javon Ringer 23 — Would pick up the reps if CJ goes down.
56. James Starks 24 — Should beat out Brandon Jackson and end up backing up Ryan Grant.
57. James Davis 24 — Young and will compete with Jerome Harrison and Montario Hardesty for playing time.
58. Bernard Scott 26 — If Benson goes down he would easily take up the slack.
59. Lex Hilliard 26 — Ricky is old. Ronnie is oldish/injuryish.
60. Jerious Norwood 27 — Turner has had a lot of carries. Norwood should be healthy.
61. Larry Johnson 30 — I don’t like him, but he could rise if he starts for the Native Americans.
62. Glen Coffee 23 — Gore is injury prone.
63. Rashad Jennings 25 — Just has MJD blocking him.
64. Derrick Ward 30 — Will be in the mix, but the recipe is bland.
65. Leon Washington 28 — 3rd string in Seattle. Will need help to be fantasy relevant.
66. Charles Scott — In line for the Eagles’ future goal line back.
67. Correl Buckhalter 31 — Should still be the #2 in the mountains, but old.
68. Mike Bell 27 — Will get some goal line looks in Philly, but Weaver will also.
69. Maurice Morris 30 — Best will best him.
70. Tyrell Sutton 23 — A good change of pace back that could flourish with an opportunity.
71. Mike Goodson 23 — See above.
72. Jason Snelling 26 — Norwood was hurt much of last season so Snelly got the work.
73. Larod Stephens-Howling 23 — Has the ability to be a Reggie Bush type.
74. Brian Westbrook 31 — If he hooks up with the right team and looks healthy I could see moving him up a little, but I’m not taking him.
75. Chris Jennings 24 — Slim chance to get into the mix after Harrison, Hardesty and Davis.