The news cycle stays pretty slow in the summer, but there are always little tidbits to find here and there. And I’m thankful for at least a little bit of news every now and then. There is a feasible possibility that football is the first major sport to come back, it certainly looks like baseball is having trouble pulling itself together. Then you have to throw in the element of the “Covid signing”. This is when teams make otherwise unnecessary signings for depth in case the team has an outbreak during the season. It’s going to be interesting come training camp! Here is the fantasy relevant news so far in the month of May.
– Devonta Freeman has been in talks with the Seahawks about signing a one year deal. Freeman reportedly wants $5 million with incentives included and the Seahawks aren’t willing to budge off of $4 million. As whatever training camp will be approaches, this seems like the best opportunity Freeman will get.
From the Seahawks’ perspective, a Covid signing makes sense for depth purposes. Chris Carson is expected to be ready for the beginning of the season while Rashaad Penny will not be. That leaves Travis Homer to take on extra work if Carson isn’t ready and after the Seahawks signed Marshawn Lynch for the playoff run last season, they clearly don’t think Homer is more than a depth RB. Homer never really made anything happen, especially when given carries in the playoffs against the Eagles. I think Freeman is cooked and he wouldn’t be a fantasy target for me. He has taken a beating throughout his career, although never anything serious, but he was really ineffective in 2019.
– Carlos Hyde is rumored to be another option for both the Seahawks and the Eagles as Covid depth. I like Hyde as a late round stash much more than I like Freeman. Hyde bounced back last year after a couple years of disarray with the Jaguars and Browns. In 2019 he averaged 4.4 ypg, scored 6 tds and ran for over 1,000 yards. Pretty good handcuff wherever he ends up.
– Josh Gordon is applying for reinstatement with the NFL. I can’t afford to get excited again. Not a chance. I hope that he is well and continues to grow as a human. As far as a fantasy asset, I won’t even look twice anymore.
– If you want the ultimate zero RB gamble, I think James Conner and Derrius Guice is quite the duo. You just have to close your eyes every time they get tackled. It could end up being worth the stress! James Conner recently said that it would be hard to leave Pittsburgh once his contract is up. Outside of the terrible negotiating skills, this seems like a positive. I believe Conner can be a feature back with his talent level and the discount comes with the injury risk.
– Frank Reich believes that Philip Rivers wants to play multiple years in Indianapolis before retiring. Scoop up as much Nyheim Hines as you can. Philip Rivers is like an older Jameis Winston so what can go wrong?!
– Ryan Tannehill and Jonnu Smith have been reportedly working out together. There were definitely games in 2019 where it looked like Jonnu was putting it all together so Smith could be a nice option for those that wait on TE.
– Odell Beckham Jr. is ‘building more strength’. Yep, give me all of the discount Beckham Jr.
– Frank Gore is here to ruin Le’Veon Bell and how can you blame the Jets? To be fair (to be faaaaaiiiiir), Bell was running behind an atrocious line all season, but either way, Gore is going to see snaps and that takes away any remaining Bell appeal.