What you’re still here? You want more rankings? You’re not satisfied with Top 20’s? Well then let’s make this go to 11…given the context, maybe a Spinal Tap reference doesn’t make sense there but whatevs, we’re still ranking and you’re still reading. Yesterday I gave you my Top 40 Running Backs and on Monday I gave you my Top 50 for 2013 Fantasy Football. And before all that, I gave you all the rankings you’d ever want to rankle with up above in the menu bar…where it says Rankings. If you can’t tell, I’m going for the record amount of times I can type ‘rankings’ in one paragraph and I think I’m gonna get there. Rankings. But enough about my pursuit for the Guinness, let’s get on with the Top 40 Wide Receivers for 2013 Fantasy Football…
Stats based on receptions, receiving yards, receiving touchdowns, rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. Rankings based on a PPR setting.
21. Pierre Garcon – When last we left off from our Wide Receiver rankings I said Hakeem Nicks was the start of the ‘Stained Relationship’ tier and that it stretched into the Top 40. You think I’d lie to you about that, bro? We still in it! I said last year I’d work on putting that weird French thingie on the ‘c’ in Pierre’s last name if he became relevant. Well, I’m looking at his name in bold and that means one of two things: either he isn’t relevant or I’m lazy and still won’t do it. Considering I ranked him as the 21st best wide out, I’m gonna roll with the latter. Now pardon me while I go take my 3rd nap of the day. 2013 Projections: 78/1147/10/10/0
Danario Alexander – In only 9 games last year, DX put up 37/658/7 despite not having a large history with Rivers. Well, I think these two get a chance to become a bit more familiar this year. It’s too bad about the health history of Danario or we might talk about him differently at this stage in the game. But of course, that’s why he rounds out our ‘Strained Relationship’ tier. You’re gonna find this tier pretty dispersed in drafts this year. I’d take a shot on any three, just not all three and Danario is looking like the cheapest of the bunch and you know how cheap I am. *Takes wife’s chewed gum from ashtray and puts in mouth* That’s a disgusting way of me telling you I’ll take DX. 2013 Projections: 67/1146/8/0/0 DX gets D-Axe due to a torn ACL. He’s out for the year which will ruin the value play that Vincent Brown once was much to my chagrin. Well and the value play that DX was to my chagrin part deux.
23. Mike Wallace – Mike is the start of the next tier and it stretches to Brown. I call this tier ‘More Than Words’ as when I see this group, I whip my bic out (don’t read that out loud) and sing a power ballad for them. It may take some time for Wallace and Tannehill to get on the same page but when they do, there’ll be a bit of magic in the air in Miami. 2013 Projections: 68/1163/7/0/0
24. T.Y. Hilton – Alright, here’s some math for you. This wide receiver had 6 touchdowns and 4 100 yard receiving games in his final 9. During this same stretch, the other WR for comparison point had 3 touchdowns and only 1 100 yard game. BTW, these two play on the same team and BTW2, the first one in this comparison basically missed one week during that stretch. Give up? I’m comparing Hilton to Wayne. Only Wayne’s going much higher than Hilton in drafts. See? I just gave you perspective. You’re welcome. 2013 Projections: 72/1138/7/32/0 (and one miscellaneous touchdown)
25. Cecil Shorts – Even when Gabbert was throwing to him, Cecil was showing signs of a breakout season. Then Blaine went away and the world rejoiced. Not sure if Henne or Gabby (I can call him that; we’re frenemies) will be the starter but I know Cecil has enough talent to make up for it either way. 2013 Projections: 80/1280/8/0/0
26. DeSean Jackson – I know we don’t want to see an Eagles receiver up here and even if you did, you’d maybe hope it wasn’t DeSean. I’ve said many times this off-season that I want a piece of the Eagles offensive pie this year and it looks like DeSean has a good chance of being that. Let’s just hope the flavor isn’t ‘humble’. 2013 Projections: 65/1085/6/90/0 (and 1 miscellaneous touchdown)
27. Antonio Brown – Antonio is not sexy like these other plays I’ve noted. He hasn’t ever had 10 touchdowns in a season and I’d stand pat this won’t be the year for him to do it either. But what I will say is another guy in this tier moved on to better weather down south and left a huge role to fill. There’s a good chance that Brown delivers. 2013 Projections: 83/1004/6/0/0
28. Torrey Smith – Torrey is the start of the next tier and it goes to Welker. I call this tier ‘Yours For The Taking’ because for various reasons, I see this group as overpriced and not worth the tag. I already talked a bit about what I think of Smith this off-season with my Torrey Smith Third Year Wide Receiver post. I have nothing against Torrey the man or what he brings to your team but I think there are players who can do exactly what he does for cheaper in the draft. For that reason, I’ll side with the Whigs on Torrey. 2013 Projections: 55/935/8/20/0
29. Reggie Wayne – You think I’d talk ill of this man and then put him in a tier I’d want to draft from? You’re cray-cray if you did. He’s still going to be good but he’s going to be good for a team that’s not mine. 2013 Projections: 90/1035/4/0/0
30. Steve Smith – I’ve seen a lot of talk on twitter of how people think Steve is undervalued coming into 2013. Really? Is this the same guy everyone was asking if they should sell last season? The one who scored 4 TDs? The one who’s 34 this year? Eh, I think he’ll be just alright but I won’t be chasing him on draft day. 2013 Projections: 71/1122/3/27/0
31. Wes Welker – With this tier, I have at least 3 guys to write overrated posts on. Yes, Welker would be one of those. I’d honestly be surprised if he hits the numbers I’m projecting. If you really, really need a Welker type, don’t worry. I shall guide you, young Fantasy Footballer! But yeah, don’t go Wes young man. 2013 Projections: 85/1003/4/15/0
32. Kenny Britt – Britt is the start of the next tier and it stretches to Sanders. I call this tier ‘Surprise Birthday Party’ as those types of surprise parties are sometimes great and other times not so much. It’s never been a question of talent with Britt, it’s a question of ‘did he take life lessons from Vince Young?’. It’s hard to believe with the rap sheet and the amount of time we’ve talked about this guy he’s only 24 years of age. A healthy, locked in season from Kenny and we’re all in a good place. 2013 Projections: 68/1006/7/0/0
33. Brian Hartline – Remember when I said I could find you a cheaper Wes Welker replacement? You don’t? What’s wrong with you, I’m only two spots away from talking about Wes at 31! Brian will be more Welker-y than Wes will be this year, cross my Hartline and hope to die. 2013 Projections: 85/1088/5/0/0
35. Mike Williams – Remember when I said there are guys that’ll do what Torrey does for cheaper? It’s feels like only 30 seconds ago that I did…oh wait, that’s because that’s exactly when I did. You want Torrey’s stats and I want Torrey’s stats but you want them for asking price and I want them cheaper. So here’s mine and you can have yours. What a giving world we live in. 2013 Projections: 65/975/6/0/0
36. Jeremy Maclin –
Admittedly, I want DeSean more because he’s explosive but I wouldn’t hate getting Jeremy either to be a part of that Eagles offense. Return of the Maclin! 2013 Projections: 78/998/6/0/0 Out for the year with an ACL tear which leads to many PHI tears.
36. Miles Austin – I’m pretty admittedly ‘meh’ on Austin for 2013. Don’t hate him, don’t love him and I think there are better options out there but his worst 16 game season came last year and he finished as the 27th best wide out in this little PPR game we play sooooo…yeah, don’t hate just because 2009 won’t happen again. 2013 Projections: 71/1051/6/0/0
37. Golden Tate – With the hurt Percy, someone’s gotta step up in Seattle. Methinks it’ll be Tate. 2013 Projections: 65/968/11/56/0
38. Tavon Austin – I swear I didn’t plan to put the Austin brothers – no relation – back to back. It just happened that way. It’s always hard projecting for a rookie. Rookies are like a box of chocolates. You never know if someone put ex-lax in them and if you’ll spend the next few days with your butt glued to the toilet. Given where he went in the draft and the clear need on the team for an Amendola-type replacement, I’ll happily take my chocolate chances. Just hope I don’t get the Hershey squirts. 2013 Projections: 68/734/3/62/1
39. Emmanuel Sanders – I wrote an Emmanuel Sanders sleeper post when it was rumored that Wallace wouldn’t be playing for Pittsburgh in 2012. I might write another sleeper post on him for 2013 because we know for sure he’s not gonna have to deal with Wallace. But that’s for later. Here’s his stats for now. 2013 Projections: 65/988/6/10/0
40. Josh Gordon – Gordon is the start of the next tier which dips into the top 60 wide receivers. This tier is called ‘Wearing Suspenders’ because the people in this tier are going to miss some time to start the year for violating rules. Of course, we don’t draft for the start of the year, do we? Nay is the answer unless of course you’re a horse which means the answer is ‘neigh’ which – if my Linguistics class serves me correctly – is like Hawaii’s ‘Aloha’ in that it could mean both hello and goodbye. Yeah, I’ve never taken a Linguistics course but I had ya goin for a second! Oh and Gordon would’ve been higher and is another suitable Torrey Smith replacement who should go at a reasonable price. 2013 Projections: 47/743/5/0/0