I apologize if my tone and voice change by the time you read this whole piece. I’m writing this here lead paragraph before this league has even drafted because I’m gonna link to all these Fantasy Football peeps via their twitter handles. Seeing as I don’t do much advertising of who I follow in the tweety world, consider this a small dosing of it. If all goes well, I’ll keep this bubbly persona throughout but if I have a draft disaster – or a draftaster if you will – I might go full Eeyore up in this mo’fo. But before I go from smug jerk to morose jackass, let’s cover who all was in this little draft of ours…oh wait, I didn’t tell you the league set up, did I? Well that’s easy enough to fix and let’s me kill two birds with one stone. This is a Razzball Commenter League set up. Don’t know what that is? Well click the link! It will guide you to a magical world of Fantasy Football wonder where you yourself can either commish or sign up for your very own RCL and compete with these guys for the Grand Prize. You man/woman enough for that challenge? Yes? Well then prove it and sign up! Ok, now back to the post…
1. @Revel_Nathan – As his condensed twitter bio says ‘Nathan Miller: Founder of Revelation Sports and a Fantasy Dude’. Top it off with his podcasts – which I’ll probably be on here shortly – and you have yourself a well rounded fantasy fanatic who never leaves his house. Oh and I’ll be on his podcast later tonight which should be out by Friday morning. Just a friendly plug.
@FFootballSchool – Shawn Luskey. A fine writer for Gridiron Experts and a fellow IPA fan which obviously makes him a good man.
3. @JuanElway - If you can’t tell from his twitter handle Juan Elway’s a funny guy, well, I’m guessing I can sum up your problem with one word: lobotomy. Runs Juan Elway Dot Com.
4. @Chad_Scott13 – Don’t let his twitter handle fool you. He’s not really 13, he only acts that age. Fellow PNW’erner and all around good guy. Writes primarily for Dynasty League Football but is an admitted ‘whore of the industry’. Something tells me ya moms don’t follow you on twitter, Chad!
5. @KilroyDFW – Joe Kilroy does many a thing but his main gig is as senior writer for Dynasty Football Warehouse.
7. @FantasySnob – Keeps you abreast (teehee) of all the goings on in the fantasy world. Main writer for Fantasy Snob dot com.
8. @Scott_Pianowski – One of those Yahoo! guys. Sorry for site racism but they all look the same to me.
9. @TheCFX – One of those stathead geeks you used to make fun of in high school of whom you still can. I keed. Jon Moore is an analyst/writer for RotoViz.
10. @CDCarter13 – Seriously, what’s with all the 13′s? I can only do that joke once guys! CD Carter writes all over the place but I know him from Sports Jerks Dot Net so I’ll go with that. Also an author and a general neglector of his wife and children as a self proclaimed fantasy degenerate.
11. @BringtheBlitz – Jeremy Becraft and I go way back…to earlier this summer. That’s a long time in twitter years. Writer for Fantasy Football Oasis.
12. @Sky_Razzball – Obligatory. Lead writer/editor for Razzball Football and contributor for Razzball Baseball. General ne’er do well.
So now that you know who/what I was up against on this auspicious occasion, now I get to lay on you how I did. So here’s my Razzball Expert League team for 2013 Fantasy Football:
Well, I’m not gonna lie, this isn’t my favorite team I’ve drafted of all time at this point. I got sniped twice early – my 4th was supposed to be Amendola and my 6th was supposed to be Gronk – and so I took the next best thing when it was presented. Is it a bad team? I wouldn’t call it that. Having T-Rich/Lynch/Gore as your RB1-3 is hardly something that causes heartache and given I have Ivory on my bench, I’m pretty tickled about my running back situation even if it’s not ideal for a PPR league. The draft process was a little unique as people were very aware of it being a 1 PPR league. The WRs I would’ve targeted in the 2nd where I took Lynch were already gone. When the third rolled around, I still wasn’t happy with the options presented so I went with Gore. I followed that up with saying to myself ‘I gotta take a WR this round…hey look, Amendola’s still available!’ That was six picks before mine. I was a little sad but Marques Colston isn’t a bad consolation prize, of course. After that, the deals at the WR position just didn’t seem to be there so I went upside heavy with my WRs for PPR taking a buncha guys who’d fit that role. All I really need is one of them to be Amendola-lite and I’ll be happy with what I’ve drafted. You’ll notice I drafted a bench TE…I know, I know I say not to draft one but hear me out! Rudolph fell to me in the 11th which I felt was a great value if he can improve upon his 2012 line. But then I heard Ertz calling my name. I know I don’t have him ranked. I get that. I also have taken note that – despite the numbers not really being there preseason – Ertz has a shot to be lined up all around the field. With Maclin out, I saw an opportunity to jump in early on what could be a major diamond in the rough. Outside of that, my consolation of Griffin for not getting Gronk isn’t all that bad really. Against my better judgement – his injury scares me too, people – I went for RGIII over RW3. As much as I love DangerRuss, that Seattle team is a bit more balanced. He might have a few quiet weeks here and there over the course of the season. I don’t think I’ll have that issue with RGIII. Final note, yes my bench is filled with weird hopes and dreams. McCluster and Pettis are me listening to news outlets saying they’re a larger part of their respective offense then we give them credit for and I’m listening to them as I draft in the 15th and 16th round. Those ‘ya never knows’ aren’t bad pickups until you have to decide on a DEF/K. Oh and if Moreno is named the starter in Denver? I’m gonna laugh really hard. Not for gloating purposes, mind you. Just at how ridiculous that situation was and is. Ok, and a little gloating. Keep in mind this draft happened Monday. I had zero clue DeAngelo would be the lead back in Carolina. Something tells me if I need to fill my WR needs, I have some reasonable trade chips at WR to expel.
Well there’s your Razzball Expert League writeup and here’s the link to said league. Go ahead, click around like you own the place. What? You think just cuz we label it ‘Expert’ we’re removed from the public eye? Heck no! We’re all open market for ridicule now, snitches! And with that, for everyone at Razzball, this is your resident Fantasy Football expert signing out.